Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Escapist nonfiction

For a million reasons, including but not limited to literature, pastries, and architecture, I've always felt like I should have been born in Europe. And then moved to sub-Saharan Africa when I was old enough. Something about hyena roadkill and the red dirt but also skyscrapers... It's just like no place else.

I digress.

If you can't be in Europe worshiping in ancient cathedrals, or conducting clandestine missions in Soviet Russia, you can at least read books written by those who did and do. Books to read, highly recommended:

With God in Russia, by Walter Ciszek, S.J. This book is amazing, and because he was a priest in Russia in prison camps it resonated with me more than One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. And he willingly chose to go into Russia because he felt called to minister to the people there. This will make whatever you are doing for Lent seem like nothing at all, and (if you're like me) make some part of you want to be in an underground parish with a priest dodging the KGB to bless your Easter baskets.


Searching for and Maintaining Peace: A Small Treatise on Peace of Heart, by Jacques Philippe. My husband attended his talk at St. Cecilia's last night and brought this home for me. It's excellent. I'm always wishing things/people in my life were different, and struggle to maintain a sense of joy and peace in spite of our particular situation, so this really resonated with me. And who doesn't have trouble staying calm with small children? Or average children? Or big children? Or your neighbor who let's her dog go #2 in your yard and always asks when your children will start daycare.



God bless!
Будьте здоровы
Dieu vous protège