Friday, February 26, 2016

Knee length skirts and Gloria Steinem?

Why is it so hard to find modest clothing? Why is it that everything is too high, too low, too sheer? And after internet research, the conclusion is that you have to be rich to buy modest clothing, or you have to make your own. And also some people recommend Land's End, which has the added bonus of being very durable.

So there it was, on my list of clothing manufacturers. Maybe I could find a bathing suit for a trip to Michigan this summer, maybe a pretty dress that was an appropriate length (even though I'm tall), and shirts that internet reviewers claim do not pill/shrink/fade/shrivel up and die after three washes. Because with two small children, I have egg/bean/cheese/spit stains that happens on my shoulder. Every day.

How odd to see this little bit of news then, from a company noted for modest clothing, that also provides uniforms for school children. They chose Gloria Steinem as one of a series of Land's Ends “Legends,” for a new promotion. Steinem is working to pass an Equal Rights Amendment (ERA) to the Constitution. One of the issues this legendary trailblazer has is that women still aren't part of the Constitution. As in, nowhere in the document does the word “women” appear. This is wacky enough, but what made me choke on my unsweetened, decaffeinated, Lenten coffee was seeing this picture when I googled her:


In addition to the word “women” not appearing in the Constitution, there's also this little bit about the ERA from the LifeNews article: “Should the ERA be adopted, it would invalidate the federal Hyde Amendment and all state restrictions prohibiting tax-funded abortions. Likewise, it would nullify any federal or state restrictions even on partial-birth abortions or third-trimester abortions (since these are sought “only by women”). When interviewed on PBS's Tavis Smiley show, she said, (Abortion) gave me my life. I mean, I woudln't have been able to live my life otherwise. Did I mention that if you buy something from Land's End with the ERA monogram money is donated to ruining women's lives?

Maybe Land's End was trying to court a new demographic—the aspiring young feminist? Post-abort women of all ages? Then I can see where Gloria Steinem would seem an obvious choice. After all, Steinem has received the highest civilian honor in America, the Medal of Freedom, from President Obama. And the Glamour Lifetime Achievement Award. So that obviously does make her something of a legendary figure, right?

The article featuring Steinem has since been removed from their website, due to customer backlash and two Catholic schools saying they would no longer purchase Land's End uniforms. As Simcha said, please just sell me a shirt. Spare me your idea of what makes a legend, because Gloria Steinem falls so far short of the standard it's terrifying. How about Land's End just make clothing, and I can go back to being just another mom wearing a modest bathing suit on my summer vacation?